Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (POCD) cause is a disorder of ovaries and it can cause problems like:
- Abnormal periods which could be irregular, heavy or lighter absent periods
- Slightly enlarged ovaries
- Infertility or difficulty in falling pregnant
- Pregnancy complications like gestational diabetes, high blood pressure or premature labor
- Loss of hair, excessive growth on the face and the body, acne and pimples, weight gain, high levels of cholesterol and high levels of blood insulin
Currently POCD cannot be cured but it can be managed effectively with right diagnosis and good management. Patients usually need medical management and long time complication of this condition may include obesity and difficulty in losing weight, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and abnormal changes in the lining of the womb which could increase the risk of endometrial cancer. High levels of androgenic hormones can cause abnormal hair growth and loss of hair on the scalp. People who are over weight tend to produce too much of insulin and high levels of insulin may promote the ovaries to make large amount of male hormones. This can affect 1 in 10 women of child bearing age.
Diagnosis of POCD is difficult but it is the common cause of infertility and sub fertility. Diagnosis can require your history examination, blood test for the hormones, blood test for the blood sugars, U/S’s and additional tests.
Treatment for managing the POCD:
- Life style changes
- Medications like oral contraceptive pills
- Treatment for infertility to check the tube ovarian drilling and IVF
For further information about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, please contact Dr. Singla's office.